What is AMP for email?
AMP is a web component framework, similar to web components like HTML.
AMP for email allows senders to include AMP components inside rich engaging emails, making modern app functionality available within the email. The AMP email format provides a subset of AMPHTML components for use in email messages, that allows recipients of AMP emails to interact dynamically with content directly in the message.
AMP is a controlled framework and only whitelisted AMP components are allowed to be sent as AMP emails. Even if you find a way to add your own third-party component, the email receiver’s platform will not display an email if it contains components that are not whitelisted.
Key features of AMP for email:
- Increased in-mail capabilities: Senders can include AMP components inside rich, engaging emails, making them dynamic and interactive. Users can engage with content and quickly take action such as RSVP to events, fill out questionnaires and browse offerings.
- Increased personalisation: AMP for email allows exciting smarter and efficient user engagement, as customers can take action directly within their emails such as managing their subscriptions, responding to polls, doodles, and bookings.
- Safe and secure: AMP for email has no arbitrary 3rd party features to limit security issues, and far surpasses the capabilities currently provided by third-party providers. Ad components are not allowed in AMP email, keeping users safe.
- Consistency and scalability: Embedding AMP within an email is simple, add a new MIME part with a content type of text/x-amp-html as a descendant of multipart/alternative. It should live alongside the existing text/html or text/plain parts. This ensures that the email message works on all clients.
- Speed and performance: The current frameworks for emails and webpages are limited by loading times and design quality. Research suggests improving the performance of a page/email results in reduced bounce rates for a page.
Further read: https://amp.dev/